Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find my deposit information?

SOAFCU Routing Number: 325272212

Deposit Check Example: Your complete account number

You can also locate your complete account numbers in e-Teller.

1. Login to e-Teller

2. Click the "Account Services" tab on the upper right.

3. Once in Account Services, the navigation menu on the left changes. Locate the "Account Management" link and click.

4. All of your account numbers will be listed on the page.

PFD Direct Deposit

Get your dividend faster with direct deposit to your Spirit of Alaska checking or savings account.

Here is our Financial Institution Code: CW

How do I update my personal information?

1. When you are in a branch, update your personal information with a member service representative.

2. e-Teller is considered a secure communication channel, and verifies your identity when you login. Update your information without visiting a branch, while still allowing us to verify your identity.

To update your physical address in e-Teller:

  • Send a message
  • Click Messages on the upper right after you login.
  • Specify your new address in the message.

To update your email address or phone number in e-Teller:

  • Update your profile
  • Click My Profile on the upper right after you login
  • Update your information in the relevant fields.

3. Send us a Change of Address Form

2017 Holiday Closures

For your information, a listing of our observed holidays

  • New Year's Day Observed – Monday, January 2, 2017
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 16, 2017
  • President's Day - Monday, February 20, 2017
  • Memorial Day - Monday, May 29, 2017
  • Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4, 2017
  • Labor Day - Monday, September 4, 2017
  • Columbus Day - Monday, October 9, 2017
  • Veterans Day - Saturday, November 11, 2017
  • Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 23, 2017
  • Day after Thanksgiving - Friday, November 24, 2017
  • Christmas Day – Monday, December 25, 2017

General Services:

Q: Who can open an account with Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union?

A: Any person who lives, works, or worships within the Fairbanks North Star Borough can join the credit union.

Q: How can I open an account with Spirit of Alaska?

A: Just click the "Apply now" button on the page of the account you would like to open or you may come to any of our branches. All it takes is $15, an initial deposit of $5 to open a Share Savings account to make you a member and a $10 account opening fee.

Q: How do I create a custom card for my account?

A: Go to Read the terms and conditions carefully before uploading your chosen photo. Then come into any branch and let any MSR know you have uploaded a picture.

Q: Do you offer any notary services?

A: We have several notaries at our Gillam, Geist, and Johansen branches, and there is no charge for this service if you are a member.

Q: Do you have a coin counting machine?

A: Yes, come and have your big bucket of coins counted by our automatic coin machines located at any of our branches. Fees do apply, 3% for members and 9% for nonmembers.

Q: How can I make a stop payment on a lost or stolen check?

A: You can come in and one of the tellers will have you fill out a stop payment form. You can also call our call center for help finishing the form, and then come in to a branch to sign it at your earliest possible convenience.

Q: What is overdraft protection?

A: When a draft is processed and insufficient funds are available in the account, a transfer from regular shares (savings) to checking is made automatically. For more information, see our Overdraft Protection page.

Q: Do you offer anything for students?

A: Visit our Youth Services page for more information.

Credit Reports

Q: Does Spirit of Alaska provide a credit report for members?

A: The credit union does not provide credit reports, but the FACT Act makes it possible for everyone to receive a free credit report each year in an effort to prevent or minimize the effects of fraud and identity theft. To get your free annual credit report you must contact the Central Source as established by the three major credit reporting agencies. You may contact the Central Source by calling, toll free, 877- FACT ACT (877-322-8228) or go to

It is important to review your credit report periodically to ensure that no fraudulent activity has taken place and that all information is accurate. Anyone who has been denied credit, employment, insurance or rental housing based on information on their credit report, or who certify in writing that they suspect their credit report may contain fraudulent information are also able to obtain a credit report at no charge.

The credit reporting bureaus provide reports on demand for a small fee.

How to contact the three Credit Reporting Agencies:


Call: 1-800-997-2493


Mail: Equifax Information Services LLC - PO Box 740256 Atlanta, GA 30374


Call: 1-888-397-3742


Mail: Experian National Consumer Assistance Center PO Box 9595 Allen, TX 75013-0036


Call: 1-800-888-4213


Mail: Trans Union LLC Consumer Disclosure Center Springfield, PA 19064-0390

Q: Why are my FICO scores different for the three credit bureaus?

A: In general, when people talk about "your score" they're talking about your FICO score. But in fact, there are three different FICO scores developed by FICO (Fair Isaac Corporation) - one for each of the three credit bureaus - Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. Fair Isaac makes the scores as consistent as possible between the three credit reporting agencies, but even if your information was exactly identical across all three, your scores might still slightly differ because the models for the three agencies were developed separately. However, in this case, all three scores would be within a few points of each other.

While there will almost always be some minor differences in your scores across the three credit bureaus because of the slightly different models, significant score differences can result from the following situations:

  • All credit scores are not "FICO" scores developed by FICO. Make sure the scores you are comparing are actual FICO scores. Each of the credit agencies has several versions of credit bureau scores, which can cause confusion when trying to understand why one score is higher or lower than the other.
  • All of your credit information may not be reported to all three credit reporting agencies. the information on your credit report is supplied by lenders, collection agencies and court records. Do not assume that each credit reporting agency has the same information pertaining to your credit history.
  • You may have applied for credit under different names (for example, Robert Jones versus Bob Jones) or a maiden name, which may cause fragmented or incomplete files at the credit reporting agencies. While, in most cases, these agencies combine all files accurately under the same person, there are many instances where incomplete files or inaccurate data (social security numbers, addresses, etc.) cause one person's information to appear on someone else's credit report.
  • Lenders report credit information to the credit reporting agencies at different times, often resulting in one agency having more up-to-date information than another.
  • The agencies may record the same information in different ways.

For more information on fixing your credit and money management, see

Credit Cards

Q: How do I report my card lost or stolen?

A: To report a lost or stolen Visa® credit card please call 1-866-875-6807, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

Q: How can I apply for a credit card?

A: You can apply for a credit card by filling out our online application or by coming into one of the branches and filling one out.

Q: How can I qualify for a credit card?

A: It is based on your overall credit worthiness and ability to repay the debt.

Q: What are the interest rates, costs and fees associated with Spirit of Alaska's credit cards?

A: For the most current rates and fees for our credit card products see our credit card application.

Q: What are the travel and retail benefits of a Spirit of Alaska credit card?

A: View our most current guide of your Visa card benefits.

Q: What are the differences between Classic and Platinum?

A: The Platinum card has a lower interest rate because it is a premium card, and carries a minimum limit of $2500.

Q: The numbers on my credit or debit card are flat. Is my card usable?

A: Yes! Spirit of Alaska issues unembossed credit and debit cards as a convenience to our members. Visa unembossed cards are accepted by most Visa merchants, with the exception of those who require a manual imprint at the point of sale such as with an old-style "zip-zap" machine, and can be used for purchases made online, by mail, or by phone.

Q: Can I enroll for credit insurance protections?

A: Yes, however there are health and age limitations. Please review CUNA Mutual's enrollment form.

Q: When is my payment due?

A: The credit card has a 28-day grace period so the payment will be due 28 days from the statement date.

Q: When should I receive my statement?

A: Spirit of Alaska's statement vendor generally mails your statement the first week of every month.

Q: How can I access my credit card online?

A: You can access your account online but you need be signed up for Spirit of Alaska's online banking service, e-Teller.

Q: Can I choose my own PIN?

A: Yes, bring your credit card into one of the branches and we can help you with customizing your PIN.

Q: What are the credit card terms and conditions?

A: For the most current terms and conditions disclosure, call the loan department at 907-459-5970.

Q: Can I get the annual fee waived?

A: Yes, by opening and maintaining a Spirit of Alaska checking account you will not incur an annual fee.

Q: How do I transfer a balance with my credit card?

A: Please bring the credit card statement of the card you wish to payoff into the Consumer Lending department at Gillam. Lending personnel can assist in making the transfer for you.

Q: Who do I call if I have questions about my statement?

A: For statement questions or any credit card questions please call the consumer loan department at 907-459-5970.

Consumer Loans

Q: What kind of consumer loans do you offer?

A: We offer a wide variety of loans including:

  • Auto loans (including cars, motorcycles, motor homes, campers, boats and trailers, ATVs, snow machines, 4 wheelers, water crafts etc and more!)
  • Signature loans
  • Secured loans

Read more about our consumer loans here.

Q: How can I apply for a loan?

A: There are several ways to apply:

  • Click the "Apply Now" button on the consumer loan page.
  • Call Loan by Phone at 907-459-5700
  • Come to one of our branches and complete a loan application

Q: How can I find out my loan balance?

A: You can find all your loan information by accessing e-Teller.

Q: Can I change the loan payment date?

A: Come to one of our branches and our loan officers can help you with changing your payment date.

Q: How can I get my loan payments to be deducted automatically from my checking or savings accounts every month?

A: Come to any of our branches or download and fill out an Automatic Payment Authorization form.

Q: How can I get more loan payment coupons?

A: CU issued paper loan coupons are available for a small $5 fee. Call 907-459-5970, come in and see us, or print a blank coupon online.

Mortgage Loans

Q: How do I apply for a home loan or a construction loan?

A: There are several ways to get started:

  • Click the "Apply Now" button on the mortgage loan page.
  • Call 907-459-5971 and speak with a mortgage loan officer.
  • Make a Pre-Qualifying appointment to meet with a mortgage loan officer.

Loan officers are available at the Gillam Branch during the week and at the Steese Branch on Saturdays.

Q: Do I need to bring anything to the Pre-Qualifying appointment?

A: Yes, you need to bring:

  • The last two years complete tax returns with W-2's (three years if you are a first time homebuyer).
  • The last two current pay stubs for all the borrowers and/or proof of other income.
  • The three months of your bank statements for all accounts.

Q: How long will the appointment be?

A: Less than an hour.

Q: What special loan programs do you offer?

A: We work with many special loan rate programs such as VA, FHA, AHFC, and the Home Start Program. Read more about them on our Mortgage Loans page.

Q: How can I get a loan to purchase land?

A: Spirit of Alaska does not offer land loans only. If you are planning to build on land you want to purchase within a year, then you may want to consider a construction loan, which will include your land in the loan and funds for construction of your residence.

Q: How long will it take to make a draw on my construction loan?

A: We process construction draw requests on within three business days of submission. The wait is 10-15 minutes at most, depending on the draw.

Home Equity

Q: How can I apply for a Home Equity Loan or Line of Credit?

A: There are several ways to get started:

Collections & Repossessions

Q: Do you have any repossessed items for sale?

A: View repossessions on our property for sale page.

Q: How can I purchase a repossessed item?

A: Fill out a bid form at the bottom of the property for sale page.

Online Services

Q: What can e-Teller do for me?

A: Secure, real-time, anytime, easy account access for checking all your Spirit of Alaska account balances and transactions. Find out more

  • Online transactions to transfer funds between accounts and make Spirit of Alaska loan payments.
  • Download transaction history to your Quicken or Microsoft Money Program.
  • Log into e-Teller Account Access on our home page.

Q: What is Home Connect?

A: Home Connect stores all of your electronic financial documents, such as statements, receipts, deposited checks, loan documents, 1099 and 1098 tax documents and more. Access Home Connect through e-Teller; simply click the "e-Statements" button.

Q: Where can I find my tax documents such as 1098 and 1099 forms?

A: If you are signed up for e-Teller, you can easily access your tax documents online with Home Connect. Simply log in to e-Teller, click the "Statements" tab on the left side of the screen. Once you are on the Home Connect main page (Desk and Computer), simply click on the drawer that says "IRS Documents."

Q: How can I activate e-Teller services for my account?

A: You can sign up for e-Teller here.

Q: What is Bill Pay, and how can I do it?

A: Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union partnered with Fiserv to bring members Bill Pay, one of the most experienced companies in online bill payment. Members love the convenience and security as they pay anyone anytime.

Get more information here.